What is a chakra?
A portal of energy through which vivacity enters or leaves the human body is known as a chakra. They are present in a great number in our bodies. But the seven most prominent of the chakras of our body run vertically along our spine from the base of the tailbone or coccyx up to the upper region of the skull which is as follows:
- Crown chakra
- Third eye chakra
- Throat chakra
- Heart chakra
- Solar Plexus chakra
- Sacral chakra
- Root chakra
Every chakra present has a different rotation and vibration characteristic and has different colours, regions, gemstones, and other aspects. As the chakras are always rotating, there is a need to balance the energies passing in and out of the body. If the chakras get imbalanced, the basic life force and flow of energy might get slowed down. Due to Chakra imbalance, a person might experience inappropriate bodily functions and it can also affect mind and spirituality functions.
So to cure chakra imbalance, essential oils are used. The essential oils possess calming and soothing properties, which are beneficial for stimulating the energy flow to and from the particular chakras and help balance any imbalance that might have occurred in due course of life.
What are the Best Essential Oils for Chakras?
1. For balancing the Root chakra
The root chakra is considered the foundation of the human chakra system. It is the first chakra and the primitive portal of psychic information.
- Yogic Name: Muladhara, Kundalini
- Associated Color: Red
- Associated Gemstone: Coral, ruby, garnet
- Location: Base of the spine
- Experience of the Self: Self-respect, self-importance
- Element of Importance: Earth
- Connection to Body Organs: Sexual organs, anus, prostate
- Disorder Associated: Self-doubt, anxiety health Benefits: Self-esteem, vitality
- Root Chakra Essential Oils: Patchouli Essential Oil, Cedarwood Essential Oil, Frankincense Essential Oil and Vetiver Essential Oil
2. For balancing Sacral chakra
The sacral chakra is considered as the chakra of creativity, self-expression, emotional durability, and sexual health. It is the second human chakra system.
- Yogic Name: Svadhisthana
- Associated Colour: Orange
- Associated Gemstone: Carnelian, fire opal
- Location: Under and behind the belly button
- Experience of the Self: Self-gratification
- Element of Importance: Water
- Connection to Body Organs: Ovaries, uterus, pelvic floor
- Disorder Associated: Uterine fibroids, PMS, irregular menstrual cycles
- Health Benefits: Stimulating energy flow, balancing sacral energies
- Sacral Chakra Essential Oils: Ylang Ylang Essential Oil, Gardenia Essential Oil and Sandalwood Essential Oil
3. For balancing Solar plexus chakra
The solar plexus is considered the powerhouse of the human chakra system. It is the third chakra that transforms food into nourishment for the soul.
- Yogic Name: Manipura
- Associated Colour: Yellow
- Associated Gemstone: Topaz, amber, citrine
- Location: Abdominal region
- Experience of the Self: Willpower, motivation, positivity
- Element of Importance: Fire
- Connection to Body Organs: Small intestine, liver, gallbladder
- Disorder Associated: Gallstones, liver diseases, inferiority complex
- Health Benefits: Activating personal power
- Solar Plexus Chakra Essential Oils: Bergamot Essential Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Cardamom Essential Oil and Sweet Orange Essential Oil
4. For balancing the Heart chakra
The heart chakra is considered as the chakra of compassion, unity, love, forgiveness, connection, and inspiration. It is the fourth human chakra system.
- Yogic Name: Anahata
- Associated Colour: Green, pink
- Associated Gemstone: Emerald, jade, peridot
- Location: Centre of the chest
- Experience of the Self: Self-love, gratitude
- Element of Importance: Air
- Connection to Body Organs: Heart, lungs
- Disorder Associated: sadness, apathy, anger
- Health Benefits: Enhanced balance
- Heart Chakra Essential Oils: Marjoram Essential Oil and Lavender Essential Oil
5. For balancing the Throat chakra
The throat chakra is considered the chakra of compassion, generosity, and valuation. It is the fifth in the human chakra system.
- Yogic Name: Vishuddha
- Associated Colour: Blue
- Associated Gemstone: Blue topaz, sapphire, turquoise
- Location: Throat, the area around the neck
- Experience of the Self: Loyalty, trustworthiness, affection, care
- Element of Importance: Sound
- Connection to Body Organs: Thyroid gland, parathyroid gland, oesophagus
- Disorder Associated: Anorexia, thyroid, tinnitus, sore throat, mouth ulcers
- Health Benefits: Clear communication, self-expression, self-confidence
- Throat Chakra Essential Oils: Eucalyptus Essential Oil, Clary Sage Essential Oil, Peppermint Essential Oil and Cypress Essential Oil
6. For balancing Third eye chakra
The third eye chakra is considered as the chakra of intuition, intelligence, receptivity, and certainty. It is the sixth in the human chakra.
- Yogic Name: Ajna
- Associated Colour: Indigo
- Associated Gemstone: Azurite, iolite
- Location: Between the eyes
- Experience of the Self: Perception of expression
- Element of Importance: Thought
- Connection to Body Organs: Pineal gland
- Disorder Associated: Self-doubt, fear, hesitation
- Health Benefits: Fearlessness, peace of mind, calmness
- Third Eye Chakra Essential Oils: Jasmine Essential Oil, Myrrh Essential Oil and Clary Sage Essential Oil
7. For Balancing Crown chakra
Crown chakra is considered as the chakra or the vortex of divine spiritual wisdom and an energy link to the spiritual world of ancestors. It is the final one in the human chakra system.
- Yogic name: Sahasrara
- Associated Colour: Violet, Purple
- Associated Gemstone: Amethyst, lavender quartz
- Location: Cortex of the brain, top of the skull/head
- Experience of the Self: Recognition of path and purpose, influencing change
- Element of Importance: Light
- Connection to Body Organs: The pituitary gland
- Disorder Associated: Unsurely of purpose, depression, disconnection
- Health Benefits: Heightened spiritual connection, awakening perception
- Crown Chakra Essential Oils: Rose Essential Oil and Lotus Essential Oil
How to Use Essential Oils for Balancing Chakras
Massage: You can mix 6-8 drops of essential oil into 3-5 tablespoons of carrier oil(palm oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and such) and gently massage at the location of the chakra in circular motions. You should practice this technique twice a week for best results.
Inhalation: You can diffuse 4-5 drops of the essential oil using an electric or a candle-lit diffuser and breathe in the fragrant aroma to activate chakra by diffusing the essential oils during meditation.
Blends: Essential oil blends for chakra combine different essential oils for topical application and aromatherapy to soothe the mind, body, and soul, thereby providing relief from chakra imbalances. Some types of blends suggested for chakras are:
- Cypress, Vetiver, and Sandalwood oil blend for root chakra
- Ylang Ylang, Lavender, and Jasmine oil blend for the sacral chakra
- Lavender and Cardamom oil blend for solar plexus chakra
- Marjoram, Lavender, and Chamomile oil blend for the heart chakra
- Eucalyptus and Sage oil blend for the throat chakra
- Jasmine and Myrrh oil blend for third eye chakra
- Lotus and Myrrh oil blend for the crown chakra
Bath: You can add 8-10 drops of your chosen essential oil for chakras into your warm bath for soothing the mind and soul. You can practice this thrice a week and meditate after to increase concentration and alleviate the imbalance.
Essential oils work great for resolving chakra imbalances. However, you should always keep in mind to use essential oils with utmost caution as some oils may cause skin sensitivity and irritation.